Magic mushrooms or also known as Psilocybin mushrooms is a name given to fungi that contain a naturally psychedelic compound called psilocybin. These magic mushrooms are found in the wild and some are cultivated. These mushrooms contain both psychoactive and hallucinogenic ingredient known as psilocybin and psilocin. These two compounds are considered as the most popular psychedelics according to researchers.
These magic mushrooms are also known to various names such as shrooms, mushies, blue meanies, golden tops, liberty caps, philosopher’s stones, liberties, Amani and agaric. Given the nature of this mushrooms, it may open our curiosity to know the types of hallucinations from Magic mushrooms.
Hallucinations under the influence of magic mushroom are bewildering or overwhelming, unreal and transient.
Hallucination originated from the Latin word “glucinari” which means “to wander in the mind”. Which is true because hallucinations are sensory experiences that may appear real but the truth is that it is just created by the mind. Hallucinations can affect our five senses. When that happens, these may be considered as symptoms that may cause mental illness or side effects of any medication or other physical illness.
Hallucination is the most common effect of magic mushroom given its component psilocybin. Hallucination is a perception without real cause or experience involving the apparent perception of something that is not present. These hallucinations may be as simple as hearing your name being called, or someone tapping your shoulder. Since magic mushrooms contain psilocybin, a person who uses magic mushroom may most likely experience different types of hallucinations.
Types of Hallucinations from Magic Mushrooms?
There are different types of hallucinations and it may affect your sense of vision, sense of smell, sense of taste, hearing and other bodily sensation.
- Visual hallucinations – This is the most common among the types of hallucinations. These visual hallucinations involve shifting of shapes, changes in a certain appearance, shifting of colors, visual haze. However, in extreme cases, hallucinations may be in the form of visual transformations or visual metamorphosis of the outer environment.
Example of this is that when a person who has taken a dose of magic mushroom would see parts of their environment changing into a completely different thing. This kind of hallucination may be helpful to people who are into the arts for they become very much creative with the changing of colors or this is where they may get their visual ideas as they may experience visual hallucinations.
Visual hallucinations can be can either be pleasant or unpleasant. It can easily shift form one visual to another.
- Auditory Hallucinations – This type of hallucination occurs when a person experiences hearing sounds that is not there. For example, they may hear voices, auditory sounds such as a whistle, humming, voices, and other sounds.
Auditory hallucinations can range from little distortions in what you hear. Most people who experience auditory hallucinations hears voices. The voices may be quiet or loud.
Auditory Hallucinations can be broken down in three types:
- Partially defined embedded – these are indistinct sounds, unclear and are difficult to classify. Example of these is hearing whispers and the like.
- Partially defined – these are more defined sounds and these can be heard separately from the noises.
- Fully defined separate hallucinations – sounds are fully defined. The content of the hallucinations is very much clear and easy to discern.
- Tactile Hallucinations – this type of hallucination involves the feeling that something is on your body even though if it is not there. This includes the feeling that something might be crawling on your skin. This type of hallucinations that most people who experience it scratch away their skin and hurt themselves. Some psychedelics can enhance pleasure like hugging, kissing or touching or even sex. But this can result to sensitivity of the skin which may result in overwhelming sensations.
- Olfactory hallucinations – this are hallucinations that will let you experience smell that is not present in your environment. Now this hallucinatory odor will vary from person to person and it may also be pleasant or unpleasant.
- Gustatory Hallucinations – this is a rare kind of hallucinations that gives a person a feeling that he has tasted a substance that he has not even consumed. These magic mushrooms are popular to have an ability to enhance the texture and the taste of the food during the hype of height of the trip.
- Proprioceptive Hallucinations – this is popularly known as the hallucinations of posture, this type of hallucinations allows the individual to feel that they are free, flying, or having an out of the body experience. The person will think or perceive that they are in a different place at a different time and feel like they are invisible.
Other Magic Mushroom trip experiences:
Aside from the aforementioned types of hallucinations, a person who is using magic mushroom may experience seeing music, able to taste colors or able to hear what he smells. This blend of a blending of senses is known as synesthesia. Synesthesia is a rare phenomenon wherein there is a blending of the senses.
For most people who have experienced hallucinations from magic mushrooms, this is not just mere hallucinations that have not affected their lives. For most these hallucinations has become a gateway to their spiritual journey. These hallucinations are usually followed by realization and revelation of their current state of being.
For some, this serves as an eye-opener to their present situation. Though it doesn’t mean that a person would gain knowledge right away, the previous experiences they have in their life will be processed by the brain. This will give them a new way of appreciating the life that they have.
The hallucinations from magic mushrooms should not be limited for recreational purposes alone. For most people, these hallucinations are gateways to a higher level of perception. This becomes their gateway to becoming connected to the world again with a new level of thinking and perception. This has become a way to enrich their spirituality and magic mushrooms has unlocked new experiences to their total being.