Psychedelics have become popular nowadays and it has finally getting acceptance especially in the medical world. Magic mushrooms or also known as psilocybin mushrooms are one of the most popular kinds of psychedelics. Magic mushrooms are a kind of fungi that contains psilocybin, a kind of psychedelic compound that functions in the prefrontal context of the brain. It activates the serotonin receptors that that affects the mood, cognition, and perception. Once consumed, these psilocybin mushroom or psychedelic mushrooms can cause hallucinations and can elevate the user’s mood.
People without the medical condition can just take psilocybin at the right amount and not worry about a devastating effect. Though it is safe, still it may cause a hangover. Sometimes people take these drugs at the amount more than they can handle and may lead to unpleasant symptoms. It would also be best if you know the way on how to get out a magic mushroom hangover.
Causes of Mushroom Hangover
So what causes a mushroom hangover?
Once the psilocybin is taken inside the body, it activates and increases the amount of serotonin in the body. The neurotransmitter serotonin is active at the prefrontal context of the brain which controls bodily activities such as appetite, pain, mood regulation, and sleep. As it increases the amount of serotonin it copies its effects allowing the person to feel euphoric and mood-boosting hallucinations.
As stated earlier, magic mushrooms or any psychedelic drugs should be taken at the right amount. However, some people tend to take more of these psilocybin mushrooms at a larger amount. Some of them take in more than their body can handle. A larger amount of psilocybin that enters the body would accordingly increase the serotonin and the person will experience negative emotions that will result in a bad trip.
Bad trips may not have caused any physical and mental damage still it can cause negative effects like creating a negative or unpleasant feeling like paranoia and frightening hallucinations. These bad hallucinations or feeling may last for several hours and then the person will mentally be. This is what we call as magic mushroom hangover which is in many sense different from an alcohol hangover.
Getting Out of a Magic Mushroom Hangover
Normally, a hangover from taking magic mushroom can just last for several hours and most people just let it run without medical treatment. Although it will drain a person mentally or physically there has been no report of lethal or deadly effects of the hangover. Most people would describe their experience that a couple of hours after the high, they would feel like their head has been smacked having a bad headache and they feel really disoriented.
Here are some very helpful tips on How to Get Out of Magic Mushroom Hangover
- Don’t take psilocybin mushroom within the day. Meaning let it get out first of our system. To get out of hangover make sure that you won’t take any psychedelics within the day. Magic mushrooms may be a great way to expand your mind or creativity but remember that it should not be taken daily. Be very mindful of the frequency and the amount that you are taking these psychedelic drugs. So be sober first and reacquaint yourself to you’re your physical self first.
- Fill your stomach – do not starve yourself. You have to have food in your body. Like any other hangover, eat a lot. Your body obviously would need a lot of food for you to recover especially from a bad trip.
- Drink a glass of orange juice – well any juice in particular but orange juice is suggested though. The juice will help you recover from dehydration and rehydrate your body. Water may do but the vitamin C in orange juice will help calibrate your brain and raise the level of activity of your visual receptors and will allow you to see clearly.
- Relax and get comfortable – after filling in your stomach with food and rehydrating your body with orange juice its time to relax. Relax your body and mind. Get comfortable.
- Sleep – well this is the best way to get comfortable. If you have experienced exhaustion from a bad trip or just your trip, sleep would be the best way to relax mentally and physically.
- Replenish your body’s serotonin – this is important to stabilize your mood. The best way to replenish your serotonin you may need to eat food that is rich in tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that serves several important purposes, like nitrogen balance. It is responsible for the creation of niacin which is very essential in creating the neurotransmitter called serotonin. Again, the serotonin is the neurotransmitter in the brain that is being activated by psilocybin which is found in Magic Mushrooms.
Eating foods that are rich in tryptophan is the best to increase the serotonin levels of your body. Here are some of popular tryptophan food sources :
- Dairy products – this maybe cheese, eggs, and milk These foods are easily available/
- Eggs – Aside from being a good source of tryptophan, eggs also are rich in other nutrients like choline, omega three and biotin.
- Pineapples – aside from tryptophan, pineapples are also rich from other food nutrients like bromelain, a kind of protein which reduces the harmful effects of chemotherapy.
- Nuts – nothing in specific because all nuts contain tryptophan. Nuts are very healthy and it also contains other food nutrients and is a good source of vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Tofu – this is an excellent source of tryptophan. Tofu can also be a replacement for meat.
- Salmon – among the many seafood’s, salmon has the best source of tryptophan. It has also a lot of food nutrients that help balance cholesterol, and lower blood pressure.
- Turkey – not known to many Turkey is also a good source of mood-stabilizing tryptophan.
Psychedelics are now gaining more acceptance either recreational or in the medical world. The most important thing though is that; Magic Mushrooms should be taken responsibly. Take it at the right amount. Anything higher than the prescribed or allowed amount of dosage may not be good for your body and may lead to psilocybin hangover. If ever you get a magic mushroom hangover, you must know how to get out of it.